Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Top 10 Signs of Studying Too Long




NewannaAnna Burkhead -- I have now finished week two of about five weeks studying for the USMLE Step 1. If you’re counting, that means I’m not quite halfway through the study period. In some ways, that is a blessing, because I feel like I have a long way to go! But on the other hand, I am going stir-crazy.

To ease my own pain and to honor all of the other students in the world studying for exams, here are my “Top 10 Signs You’ve Been Studying Too Long”… in no particular order…

1. You get excited about switching pen colors.

2. Your roommate comes home from a weekend away and says, “Surprise, you’re still sitting there! Have you changed clothes at least?”

3. Your mom calls and after talking for a few minutes says, “I’ll call back tomorrow and maybe you’ll be in a better mood.”

4. Unless you turn off your internet connection, you check email/cnn/gossip site/website of choice every 5 minutes.

5. It’s summer and 85 degrees outside but your bathing suit is still in winter hibernation.

6. Your middle finger starts to get that weird indentation on it from writing too much.

7. You can tell what time it is by hearing the squeaky school bus brakes outside the window (7:40am and 3:35pm).

8. Every single coffee mug is dirty in the dishwasher.

9. Your apartment is either really clean (because study break = manic tidying session) or looks like a tornado ran through it.

10. You sit still so long that reading about decubitus ulcers and DVTs becomes a little more relevant.

Any of these sound familiar? Did I leave anything out? Good luck to everyone out there taking exams right now. It’s one mile marker closer to your destination!

No comments: